Friday, November 7, 2008

It's Almost Over!

Finally, the hubby will be home THIS month!  I can't wait to have him back.  I plan to continue adding to this blog, as I come up with tips and suggestions for those of you who still have loved ones overseas.  My step mom is about to go for 15 months, so it is still very much a part of my life.

A couple of thoughts:
  • Care packages: do send them! I find that funny things are best: soap on a rope, whatever will make them smile. Also, if it is your significant other deployed, I suggest sending some HoochyMail! My sister in law (married to the hubby's brother, who was a Marine and served 3 tours in Iraq) recommended this to me, and it is a tried and true favorite. Another good thing to send is those individual packets of sauces (Taco Bell hot sauce, BBQ, mustard, ketchup, etc. This makes chow hall food/MREs much more palatable). Books and/or magazines are good too, but remember you may not get them back, depending on where your loved one is.
  • Pictures are nice! Email them or send hard copies, but there's nothing better than some photos of the family and pets to cheer our guys and gals up.
  • A good old fashioned, snail mail, handwritten letter is something to be cherished.
My thoughts go out to everyone with a part of their life deployed.  Best wishes!

No comments: